NPR has an article, “7 Billion And Counting: Can Earth Handle It?” This article speaks of the growing global population which is nearing seven billion folks. And we’re expected to hit 9 billion by mid-century. Talk about one hell of a fish fry!
This is going to prove very challenging for those of us with a conscience. The scenarios we’re looking at are:
- With global warming, decreased natural resources that may be fought over in wars (and not just by third-world nations).
- Mass population migrations as flooding takes away land from coastal regions and islands.
- Leaders who may feel “just cause” to fire off some nukes or a biological weapon or two to cut the population down.
- Economies strained to the breaking point as populations adjust to having more neighbors. A growing poor class and dwindling rich class.
- The United Nations may end up having to take a more heavy-handed approach to policing potential problems in the world, especially as nations become over-burdened.
Today we have work to do. We have to develop sustainable solutions to ensure that everyone has a fair shot at living. We need to come together-without government if need be-and put aside our differences. We need to work on preserving the environment, keeping water fresh, develop sustainable agriculture and self-sufficient energy sources.
I believe God’s calling us to be like Jesus as far as reaching out to our fellows and coming together to work on the above. Time is on our side, but not for long. As we dawdle, more people are on Earth.
Seven billion and counting…seven billion…eight billion…nine billion…